Thursday, November 13, 2014

Regency corset, Draft #1

I had not had the best track record with corsets thus far since most books don't tell you HOW to fit for different figures, and modern-day dress forms aren't made for the task of patterning them. My first attempt at a Regency corset was an obvious failure. I made this one back in college when I first started drafting my own patterns.

                                                                    OLD VERSION
The busk just sat over everything making a big 'board' shape, and the bust gores weren't right at all.







Now that I know more about what I'm doing and researched more, I decided to go with some short stays instead of the full sized ones. I used some advice from The Oregon Regency Society which is fantastic, but I'm STILL not sure if this is fitting right or how to fix it.

This is what I have:

  

I made this out of cotton drill, which did not come in white so it is flatlined with white cotton, and also a white cotton lining layer. It has two bust gores now (that perhaps need to move closer to center?) I put steel boning on either side of the eyelets and cording under and to the side of the bust. I tried adding padding, but that just pushes the cups further away from me, and I can't figure out what needs to be adjusted to fix this issue. This is the original chemise I made in college, and I might need to make it a drawstring chemise instead. Does anyone have any advice for me on the fit of this? Sorry about the poor lighting and pics!

On the plus side, I dyed my Highbury Regency slippers from American Duchess today and made some cute bows to go with them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to people leaving spam comments on my page, all comments will be sent to me before being posted public.