Saturday, January 4, 2014

So I'm making a weird thing; Katniss' cowl from Catching Fire

I can't rave enough about Hunger Games: Catching Fire! I've seen it 4 times in the theater so far. They are very true to the book and it's so perfect. I, of course, want to make all of Katniss' costumes. I've started with one piece though, since I can add it to my original Katniss Hunting costume:


I just have to put black pants with it to make it accurate for Catching Fire. She will wear the jacket in Mockingjay also, and if I can get my old Singer treadle machine working and buy a hide of leather, I want to make the jacket proper. This lucky ebay find, though, has most of the appropriate shapes. There is one other addition to the Catching Fire version of this costume, and that is the cowl:

It was made by Maria Dora specifically for Katniss, based on a design she had already done. It was altered to be more practical for shooting. Apparently the internet is going nuts over this piece. If you search "Katniss Cowl", you will get hundreds of results of people trying to make their own, it's pretty remarkable. Sometimes I take on a costume I wasn't initially planning on doing simply because I think I figured out how it was made. That's the fun I have with costume making is figuring out the puzzle. Now let me first say that I am not a knitter. I only know the basic knit stitch, and I taught myself the basic crochet stitch for this.


I can't tell yet if I'm making it too big or not since I don't have much of the body done, but I'm kind of proud of the technique I've worked up (and I have no clue what I'm doing, I feel like freakin' MacGuyver here) Hopefully I can get this done before the last snow of the year and arrange some kind of photoshoot!

Also? It makes a great cat bed.




-edit 01/12/14- I'd shortened the end of the "y" and added the next row of braiding...

8 comments:

  1. Nice work! What's the technique you used for the big cord parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the neckline? I rolled up some warm and natural type muslin into tubes which I whip-stitched down, then... well, since I don't know how to crochet really I don't know if there's a technical name for it... I made a slipknot and put it on a large crochet hook, wrapped a yarn around the muslin, hooked it with the hook, wrapped the yarn around, did it again, etc... then when I had the two large ones done I just whipped them together along the ridge created... the smaller one I did a single crochet around the bottom edge to give it a bit of distance. I hope that makes sense because I'm completely making this up!

      Delete
  2. wow, that looks seriously gorgeous. I want one. how much yarn do you think you'll use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia :D
      I'm not sure yet, I've used two skeins of the Lion's Brand Thick n Quick so far and I have three more. Maybe that'll be enough or one more.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully done! I don't know if you want feedback or not, I've made a few of these backs and before you proceed the band coming down from right to left is too long (you may already know that) it is supposed to meet "flush" with the other. The trick is finishing off the ends. Do you plan to just continue with the weaving? It looks to me like the original (maria dora's) version is just rows of braids sewn together or attached in some way. (I'm not a weaver, I'm a knitter) but from what I see you doing, I would just continue with the woven braiding to form the yoke and drape. Your work is fantastic! Just be prepared that if you plan to weave/braid this you are going to go through a lot of yarn. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yep, I thought that was too long and have already shortened it. I'm working on the outer braid now so I have something to attach my subsequent braids to when I come around. I do plan on making a bunch of braids and sewing them together, my real trick is trying to keep a lot of it the same relative thickness. That first braid, albeit the widest of them all, did take almost a whole skein of yarn by itself! Thankfully this isn't super-expensive yarn and I can get more with coupons (hopefully, I kinda cleaned out all the stores around me!) Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  4. Any update. This is amazing!!! Please update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What color of the yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Due to people leaving spam comments on my page, all comments will be sent to me before being posted public.