Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tauriel

I had posted last year about my conundrum studying Tauriel's green deerskin outfit from The Hobbit. Well, I had gotten another of WETA's books from the movie which confirmed the conclusion I sort of came to when studying her outfit that they did indeed make a whole version and a short jacket version.


On the left in the 'dress' version she wears in Thranduil's chambers and the cell scene, on the right she's wearing a jacket with a separate skirt. They are implying that it's the same jacket, but they didn't want the extra skirt layer when she's wearing the raw silk overcoat. I'm guessing the 'dress' version was decided on later, and since the other version is covered by the cuirass, they needed to make a full version.





The 'dress' version has a panel down the front of the skirt that has binding on it, which is missing from the removable skirt. Also, I can tell from the close up in the Cloaks and Daggers book that the binding is silk, where the jacket version is binded with the same suede as the jacket. I've decided I'm making the dress version of this, and if I have enough suede left over, I will make a short jacket. I figure I can wear my cuirass over the dress and most people won't care about the extra line of binding down the front, since I don't see a point in making the removable skirt just for that.

I got two large hides of green deerskin to make this out of! I also found a sort of iridescent nylon fabric to make the undershirt out of. (And as you can see, the Weta Tauriel necklace!)

I also have the WETA Daggers for later!







Back to the jacket, I've patterned the body of it, and I'm making a full mock up, since I don't want to make any mistakes on the leather, and I'll work on the sleeves when that's done. I'm really loving the collar on this.





I've also been working on a pants pattern. Tauriel wears leather pants, the best pictures of it are from the Weta figurine, such as this:





So, I've made a version in stretch denim. I had a little fun and put some of the Elven leaves from her bracers on the back pockets.





So right now I have a lot of patterns, mock ups, props and supplies so I hope I start seeing something wearable real soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to people leaving spam comments on my page, all comments will be sent to me before being posted public.