Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Years Costume Resolutions

Hope everyone have a happy Chriskwanzukah Festivus holiday ;) I got some new costuming books and enough $$ to do a bulk chainmail order- yay! Because I'm blowing through these rings pretty fast. I already have the start of the front panel attached.

Anyway, this'll be my first time doing this here, every year I post an overly-ambitious costume resolution on what I plan to do in the coming year, and look back on what I did (or usually did not) accomplish from the previous years resolution. This is what I said I was going to do last year:


And here's what I actually did:


Sooo, one out of 5 plus added one... The Padme had a lot of layers... though it should be mentioned I did this corset for my steampunk but it had fit issues. well, anyway, on to next year... and technically I start constructing costumes for next year right after Dragon*Con in September, so I have a head start.


Definites:
White Witch of Narnia- The Big One of the year, already have a good start on it. Only time will tell how fast I can chainmail that giant skirt.
Hobbit- I don't even technically need this until Dec 2012, though it'd be nice to wear to D*C. Probably half done with this, I might make a go at making feet but odds are I'll just go barefoot.
Edwardian Corset- From last post, doing the sew-along so I can fit one proper.

Possibles:
Alice Ribbon Dress- You see this got bumped from last year. It won't take long to make, but I'll only do it if I can squeeze it in my schedule before D*C
Padme Meadow Gown- This one is actually for next years list but I may start it right after D*C in September
Regency Corset- I've been wanting this one for a long time and the first one I made doesn't fit right. I want a Regency for next years list, but I may start fiddling with the corsettry if I run out of non-handwork and have nothing else to do.

So, those are my plans. At least this year I have a good chance of getting half my definites done in the next couple months, and that'll be an improvement over last year!

9 comments:

  1. these new resolutions like a chore but i know u can complete them. oh always check out cosplay.com for costume help amongest others. can't wait to see your progress. good LUCK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I usually stick to the various costume forums for advice. I wish they had a site set up like cosplay.com but without the word 'cosplay' in it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a good doable list. I always bite off more than I can chew, and then I get sidetracked. Padme's meadow dress would look good. Hope to see it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I finish it one day! Do you have a list for the year yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with changing the cosplay name. didn't mean to offend u!!!! so sorry if i did. thanks 4 the advice on fiber etch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries! Actually I was worried about offending you! I'm kind of outspoken on the whole calling costumers 'cosplayers' now and I've had a few of them get miffed with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya, love your blog & the new template makes it loads easier to read, re hobbit feet have you thought about paper macheing & painting some trainers? We went to a Lordathon with lots of outside bits so that's how we got round it. Good luck with all your other resolutions...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Glad the new template works :)

    Actually I'm going to go the moulding and casting with latex or silicone if I can. It's a skill I've been wanting to learn for a long time, I don't know if I'll be able to mould them realistically though. It'll just take practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on an Edwardian costume for this summer so I will be watching your progress with the corset with interest! Love your site, BTW. Lots of great info .. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to people leaving spam comments on my page, all comments will be sent to me before being posted public.