Monday, August 22, 2011

Padme Progress

OK, I'm in full-on convention panic mode. I find I'm having to prioritize what is essential to be finished and what I can finish in the car on the 9 hour drive there. I don't doubt I can finish the overdress, what I'm in a panic about though is the beading, though I'm hopeful I'll have the collar portion done tomorrow night. The drape is what I'm going to have to really cheat on. I won't embroider it until after Dragon*Con, to be finished in time for Archon. The appliques I'll have to either fake or leave blank until then too. The hair, I gave temporarily coloring my strawberry blonde hair brown my best shot and I got it darker, but I found no matching extensions and my attempt to match a color with human hair extensions failed, so I'm going natural for this one until I come up with a better hair plan.

Anyway, this is my progress on the dress, I have one sleeve fully assembled and am working on the other one. Sorry for crappy phone pics ;)

I did a test sample of the drape out of leftover taffeta I had (fabric on right) and I like how it came out, I just need to make the panels wider and they are basically broomstick pleated rectangles. On the left I have the fabric I chose for the drape, I overdyed it tonight and I think I have a good color now

And that's the short version of where I'm at! I've also pretty much finalized my Dragon*Con costume schedule, so if you're going, here's what to look for:

Friday, All Day: Padme
Saturday Parade: Endor Leia (camo)
Saturday Night: Padme
Sunday Day: Hogwarts Uni
Sunday Night: Alice

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Padme Cut Senate - Headjewel

I finished the headjewel for my Padme, I left wome wire on the end though because I'm not entirely sure what kind of clip to attach it to. The attachment method isn't obvious at all on hers so I don't really have a clue how to go about it yet.

The original is flat-backed gems (couldn't find) put in pronged settings that have 4 eyes on them, which I also couldn't find, so I improvised with some beads and wire and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Hopefully I'll have a gown update this weekend, I didn't get much done the past few weeks because my machine can't handle velvet with piping without FUBARing it all to hell. But I found out last night my mother's expensive machine can! You can adjust the presser foot pressure on hers and I got tons done last night. Right now I'm working on putting the collar/lapel together! I also have the frames for the hairpiece almost finished, I am testing a temporary brown dye tomorrow and getting hairpieces to put it all together, plus I got all the make-up last weekend. I'll be doing a test on all of this before Dragon*Con.